Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Opening Shot

Between the failure of our fundamental economy, the war in Iraq and the Cowboy Monkey in the white house I figure it's time to speak out. Someone needs to congeal the credos, clamoring and harangues of the proletariat into something cohesive. Karl Marx tried and failed with a turgid treatise on the ills of his day that became an excuse for greater injustices than the ones he thought to cure.

I think the last hundred and fifty years has shown there is no Utopian solution. All God's chillun ain't never going to play well together. We're just that way. But we can agree on some fundamentals. Unfortunately this country has no agreement on anything. We want inexpensive merchandise. We want jobs that pay enough to support our families and meet our obligations. We want a rule of law but we don't want to be Ruled by the law. We want a strong government to take care of those things we can't take care of for ourselves. We want the government to stay out of our business. (Well it's OK if its in the other guy's business. Just stay out of ours.) We want the best health care in the world. We want to have affordable healthcare. (read that as free.)

We as a country are at odds with ourselves. What are we going to do? The last election made it clear. We live in a divided house. One side has chosen Dad and the other Mom. Them and us. Maybe there are a few people who see the world less black and white. I for one see both political parties as corrupt, power hungry, and morally bankrupt.

In my little world, if you identify a problem you better outline the solution. In concrete terms. With choices and possible results. Wouldn't it be nice if our politicians would do the same? This Blog is created to put together all the pieces . To crystallize my rants and suggest some solutions. I'm going to assume my readers are interested in what I'm saying so they (you) my assume I'm interested in your point of view.

Together we will create a New Manifesto of American ideals suitable for framing, great as a party favor and hopefully good for a $500 a plate dinner during the next election circuit.

Seriously: The American people are being lied to everyday. The president and congress can not possibly be as stupid as they seem. They remind me of my daughter, the blond, who plays dumb so she isn't asked to do anything hard.

More to follow.

1 comment:

Dave Shields said...

Good luck with your project, Doug. I'm not angry enough about the status quo to commit my energy and resources to changing it, but I respect people who are and I'm grateful for their efforts at course correction. I hope you're able to come up with some innovative and workable solutions and I look forward to seeing what you're able to accomplish. I'll try to check back from time to time.