Sunday, November 27, 2005

Where Does It End?

Health care costs are ruining our economy.

Consider: GM tanks 30,000 workers because they can't afford health benefits.
Starbuck's pays more for health coverage than it does for coffee.
WalMart plans to hire only healthy workers.
The biggest cost to states is the unfunded portions of Medicaid.
The Government Accounting Office has suggested holding back on the drug "benefit" for Medicare to save money.

The United States is supposed to have the best health care in the world, except it's pricing itself out of existence. Without health insurance and without going broke the average person has no health coverage. A single doctor's visit can cost well over a $150 with blood test (common) and medicines. Come back in two weeks and it costs another $50 minimum.

If the Health Care "Industry" (it's in quotes because it's not an industry it produces nothing) is market based then what is driving the market. It's been suggested that the health insurance companies are at fault for paying the outrageous prices. On the other hand the legal system allows judgments against individuals for using services they have no way to select (an ambulance) or determine whether they can afford.

If the receivers of the service are responsible for its costs they should be able to determine what they can afford. Try to sell me a car for $30,000 and I might pass on it right now. Tell me I'm having a heart attack and will die with out services and I'll be in hock $30K without knowing where it was spent. Since I want to live I have no choice about shopping for medical care or transport. Not that it would matter. The insurance companies determine reasonable and customary fees.

Socialized medicine has been kicked around as a possible solution. It is in some ways but that makes the amount and kind of care available to the common person something at the whim of the government. And We know how much I trust the government.

One possible solution is to outlaw health insurance companies. Prohibit them from setting and paying reasonable and customary charges. Set a national fee structure based on percent of income. Maybe use a graduated system of Medicaid/Medicare/government health plans/ private insurance.

Insurance companies will be the first to scream that there is health care fraud. People trying to rape the system. I'll nod my head in agreement. I just think there are more companies raping the system (and the public) than private individuals getting an extra $10,000 for a phony back injury.

Folks this is a topic worthy of comment and recommendations. Please give me your thoughts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog and I am impressed. My perceptions on the subject are colored by personal experience so I can't really add too much here. I believe you're right because I have been going through hell with my husband's back injury since 1996 (he is now 42). I have calculated the costs of anticipated medical care for him over the next twenty years and I'd have to win the lottery to foot the bill. Without my health insurance, social security, and the worker's comp that we continue to fight for, we'd be homeless. This is real and needs to be dealt with. I only wish I did have the solution.